Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Cherrie C

I heard about the Women's Royal Canadian Naval Service, also known as WRCNS, when it was first founded in 1942. When the war began, I did not think I would join military service to help the war effort. However, WRCNS changed my mind and motivated me to join the war effort. My original plans were to finish school, get a job and then get married. When the war began, circumstances began to change, and so did my plans. I was hired to as a Sick Berth Attendant because they saw that I had a good education with more than 2 years of High School done. I was aiming for a job that had to do with health and taking care of the sick.

We were all trained at HMCS Conestoga in Ontario. Some women had to travel overseas to serve for the war effort, one of which was me. I thought it was both a good and bad thing. The good thing is that I get to see another country and support the war effort more because I was closer to where the war was. The bad thing is that I am away from my family who already discouraged me to not join WRCNS.

As I began to train as a sick berth attendant, I did not really like it so much at first because I was scared and frightened seeing what happens to some men during the war. After a few weeks in training, I knew I was part of this for a reason. I encouraged myself to face the fact that I wanted a job like this and to help the ones were hurt as much as I can.

- Laura Thomson

5 comments:

Women at War said...

I was also serving overseas for the same reasons, to help the great soldiers. It was horrible seeing what happened to the men but I knew it would be worth it to help as much as I could. I think you were brave to accept the job.

-Kathleen Oonah Walker

Women at War said...

I understand that you didn't think you were ready for the war. However, we're all proud of you for putting your fears aside and making the right decision to help out.

-Elizabeth Walker

Women at War said...

I totally understand how you felt at first when thinking of helping out with the war effort. However I would like to congratulate you for pulling through and helping out. You are an inspiration to me and all.

- Betty Wilson

Women at War said...

War is a hard battle, I understand that you weren't ready, no one was. It's a good thing you put away your fears and fought for the future.
- Bernadette Williams

Women at War said...

My original plans were to start a family since I was a newly wed. However, my circumstances, like you, changed when my husband left for the war. I wish the the best of luck in your job as a sick berth attendant!

- Beverly Grieg

Post a Comment